[Openstack] [Swift] Swift load balancing

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Fri Jun 7 15:49:19 UTC 2013

The given options (DNS, SW load balancer, and HW load balancer) are all things I've seen people use in production Swift clusters.

As mentioned in another reply, DNSRR isn't really load balancing, but it can be used if nothing else is available.

One thing to consider when choosing a load balancer is if you want it to also terminate your SSL connections. You shouldn't ever terminate SSL within the Swift proxy itself, so you either need something local (like stunnel or stud) or you can combine the functionality with something like Pound or HAProxy. Both Pound and HAProxy can do load balancing and SSL termination, but for SSL they both use OpenSSL, so you won't see a big difference in SSL performance. Another free option (for smaller clusters) is using LVS.

You could also use commercial load balancers with varying degrees of success.

Swift supports being able to tell the healthcheck middleware to send an error or not (https://github.com/openstack/swift/blob/master/etc/proxy-server.conf-sample#L185), so when configuring your load balancer, you can more simply manage the interaction with the proxy servers by taking advantage of this feature.

I would strongly recommend against using nginx as a front-end to a Swift cluster. nginx spools request bodies locally, so it is not a good option in front of a storage system when the request bodies could be rather large.

--John