[Openstack] Folsom's `nova-compute` reports wrong amount of free disk space

Riccardo Murri riccardo.murri at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 15:34:17 UTC 2013

Hello,

regarding this question:

On 6 June 2013 13:12, Riccardo Murri <riccardo.murri at gmail.com> wrote:
> (2) Most disk space seems to be wasted by old (and presumably failed)
>     image conversion attempts in `/var/lib/nova/instances/_base`.  How
>     can we clean those up?  Can we just delete the files or some
>     special care / database edit is needed?

We have found that the default setting
`image_cache_manager_interval=0` effectively *disables* the image
cache manager, but it still shows up as running in the logs. I've
reported this as a bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1188226

After setting image_cache_manager_interval to >0, the nova-compute
process took care of wiping the unused base files and now the nodes
are functional again.

Ciao,
Riccardo

--
Riccardo Murri
http://www.gc3.uzh.ch/people/rm

Grid Computing Competence Centre
University of Zurich
Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH-8057 Zürich (Switzerland)
Tel: +41 44 635 4222
Fax: +41 44 635 6888