[Openstack] Call to API very slow [Grizzly]

Aaron Rosen arosen at nicira.com
Fri Jul 26 18:09:44 UTC 2013

This is slower now because of the quantum metadata agent. In Essex when a
vm did a request for 169.254.169.254 the request would go straight to the
nova-metadata server and nova would determine which metadata to return
based on the instances source ip. With quantum you are allowed to have
overlapping ip addresses so this method does not work anymore. In order for
metadata to work with overlapping ip addresses the quantum metadata agent
intercepts the request and inserts a special header so that nova-metadata
can determine which instance this request belongs to (since ips can
overlap).  In order for the quantum metadata agent to determine which
header values to insert he needs to query quantum to determine the
device_id of the instance that made the request (which is an extra query).
My guess is this coupled with proxying the data is is why you are seeing an
extra second or so.  Is this presenting a problem for you? If you don't
want to allow overlapping ips you can disable that in quantum and still use
nova-metadata directly.

Thanks,

Aaron