[Openstack] Image prep. cloud-init user configuration help.

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 26 13:36:59 UTC 2013

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013, Brian Schott wrote:

> When you bundle the image, make sure you remove the /var/lib/cloud
> directory.  It contains lock files and a local cache from the first time
> it was run.

This is not actually necessary.
cloud-init runs some things "per-instance", and other things "per-boot".

The per-instance is handled using the instance-id as a marker. So, unless
you hit an instance-id (uuid) collision there is no need to specifically
clear out /var/lib/cloud.  If you have some other reason that you think
this needs to be done, please open a bug on cloud-init.

Scott