[Openstack] [Quantum/Neutron] VM cannot get IP address from DHCP server

Brian Haley brian.haley at hp.com
Wed Jul 24 14:20:02 UTC 2013

On 07/23/2013 11:41 PM, David Kang wrote:

>  A Redhat manual suggests the following rule to enable forwarding packets
> among VMs and external network.
> https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_OpenStack/2/pdf/Release_Notes/Red_Hat_OpenStack-2-Release_Notes-en-US.pdf
>
> iptables -t filter -I FORWARD -i qr-+ -o qg-+ -j ACCEPT
> iptables -t filter -I FORWARD -i qg-+ -o qr-+ -j ACCEPT
> iptables -t filter -I FORWARD -i qr-+ -o qr-+ -j ACCEPT
>
>  But it doesn't work for me.

Can you elaborate on what "it doesn't work" means?

Do any of those rules show increased packet/byte counts, indicating they've been
matched?

Is IP forwarding enabled?

Is there a mis-configuration in your bridge config?  Use 'brctl show' to see
where all the tap and other devices are attached.

Deleting that one FORWARD rule causing all the trouble is going to be a much
quicker solution.

-Brian