[Openstack] No NIC attached/exists on newly created instances

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Tue Jul 23 11:56:36 UTC 2013

Hi,

you don't have to create networks in nova too - the ones you created with
quantum should be enough.
First, it might perhpaps good to exclude possible issues with your image.
If you're using KVM you could go and check the libvirt XML which is
generated for your instance. If you see a populated 'interfaces' section
there, then the VIFs have been correctly created, and perhaps for some
reason your image is not loading them.

If the 'interfaces' section is not populated, then the issues I can think
about are:
- quantum ports not created, in which case this might mean nova-compute is
not using the quantum network API driver
- quantum ports created but interfaces not attached, in which case this
might mean nova-compute is not using the appropriate VIF driver.

Salvatore