[Openstack] Memory meters from ceilometer

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Thu Jul 18 11:27:33 UTC 2013

Hey Jobin,

Thanks for your perceptive question.

The reason is that the conduits for gathering CPU metering and memory
metering are quite different in ceilometer currently:

* cpu/cpu_util are derived by polling the libvirt daemon

* memory is derived from the "compute.instance.exists" notification
  sent by nova

(This is the pollster versus notification-handler dichotomy you'll
 see throughout ceilometer).

The reason you're not seeing the memory meter being collected is
probably because you don't have instance usage auditing enabled in
your nova config (see the "Configure nova" section in [1]).

However, be warned that this meter is probably not the memory
utilization statistic that you're expecting. Rather it's likely to
be a static value reflecting the quantum of memory allocated by the
hypervisor to the instance (as opposed to the sort of number you'd
see when running "free -m" on the instance).

I'm looking into adding support for more useful memory utilization
metering (that could for example drive autoscaling logic), but this
will require usage of an upcoming release of libvirt.

Cheers,
Eoghan

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ceilometer/install/manual.html