[Openstack] Running multiple nova-cells

Sam Morrison sorrison at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 06:52:18 UTC 2013

Hi,

We have a reasonably large deployment with nova cells and we are having issues consuming messages fast enough at the top level due to all the instance updates etc.

We've done some tuning to some of the periodic tasks but users can trigger hundreds of messages to be sent upwards.
It looks like a bug where 1 message to be sent upwards somehow turns into about 50. We're debugging this at the moment.

Bu what I'm also wondering is if it's possible to run multiple nova-cell processes within a cell?
I see there is a blueprint [1]  which makes me think it's not possible yet?

We get spikes of 100/200 messages a second for a couple minutes and it takes a while for our nova-cell service to consume all of these.

Cheers,
Sam

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/multiple-nova-cell