[Openstack] Networking with Nova

Adrian Smith adrian at 17od.com
Tue Jul 9 20:05:36 UTC 2013

> when I create an instance via nova, can I specify which network the instance should e attached to? For example, suppose that I have
> three VM in a compute node each of them is attached to a network 1,2,3, I want to add the fourth one and specify that this VM
> should be attached in network 2. How can I do that?

This documentation should be of use in relation to creating a VM and
attaching it to a particular network,
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-network/admin/content/advanceed_vm_creation.html.
It describes the various means of attaching a VM to a network/networks
using the 'nova' and 'quantum' command line tools.

> what is the difference between the compute node and the openstack controller in the case of Nova? According to my understanding,
> the compute node is the physical or virtual machine where the virtual servers are running, right?

That's it. In general the compute node(s) host the VMs while the
controller node hosts the nova/quantum/etc services. You can also have
a separate Network node hosting the quantum services. Appendix A in
the Networking Guide outlines a few deployment options.
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-network/admin/content/app_demo.html