[Openstack] [Design] Why/how object storage(Swift) better than scale-out NAS?

Li, Leon Leon.Li2 at emc.com
Wed Jul 3 06:47:54 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have googled  and found some answers but they are not to the point I think. Why foundation choice object storage other than scale-out NAS?
I see some points about benefit of object storage(swift)

*        Storing billions of files.

*        Storing Petabytes (millions of Gigabytes) of data.

*        Use cheap servers

*        Can have several copy for each file
However a scale-out NAS could also have these benefits, if you build the scale-out NAS with open source cluster FS(for example HDFS), just like many Internet company did.

Leon