[Openstack] Configuring instances during first boot

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 30 14:08:13 UTC 2013

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013, Juerg Haefliger wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM, Pádraig Brady <P at draigbrady.com> wrote:
> > On 01/29/2013 01:08 PM, JuanFra Rodriguez Cardoso wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks for your replies!!
> >>
> >> Has anyone tried to resize root disk of Centos/Fedora instances with
> >> cloud-init?
>
> I assume you're referring to resizing the root partition?
>

> > Juerg Haefliger is working on cloud-utils and cloud-initramfs-tools
> > packages for Fedora/Red Hat, which support the growroot feature.
> > He might have some packages for you to test.
>
> Yes working on packaging for RHEL and adding support for GPT partition
> tables for Fedora. I could give you preliminary RHEL6 packages but
> Fedora is not quite there yet. Let me know.

Juerg,
   I'm interested/willing to help with this.  I'd like for growpart to
have support for GPT partitions also.  Please let me know how I can help.

   One exciting thing is that newer kernels now support 'update' of a
partition table, that should be a good fit for simplistic growing like
we're interested in.  util-linux has recently gained the ability to tell
the kernel to update its partition table view at [1].
   What that means is that going forward we won't have to do this stuff
inside the initramfs, and I'd like for cloud-init to be able to drive it
itself.

--
[1] http://git.kernel.org/?p=utils/util-linux/util-linux.git;a=commitdiff;h=3b905b794e93609af7e42459d32b27e7c18ce02e