[Openstack] Windows instance licensing in OpenStack

Willard Dennis willarddennis at live.com
Wed Jan 23 20:40:02 UTC 2013

See http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/existing-customers/product-activation-faq.aspx

Looks like KMS would be the appropriate means; your MSFT reseller would sell you a KMS license key to use for the appropriate pool of server / app instances, then it is loaded into the KMS server, which then activates the instantiated systems. I checked with MSFT Licensing, the rep said there is no limit on number of uses of a KMS license key, just an aggregate activation threshold. See further http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd197314.aspx for more details.

We don’t use KMS here, so don’t know about the hairy details, sorry...

Best,

Will