[Openstack] Windows instance licensing in OpenStack

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 14:30:46 UTC 2013

On 01/23/2013 08:41 AM, Balamurugan V G wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder how the Windows Licensing would work in OpenStack. Lets say I
> have a Windows Image which I have already activated. Now if I launch N
> instances of this image, what are the SO licensing implications? Will I
> have to license/re-activate on each of the instances after they boot up?

If you use XenServer or KVM, I believe so, yes. I've heard that if you
use ESXi you can get some sort of license for all Windows images on a
host. Not sure of the details of this, though, I've just heard it
through the IT grapevine...

Best,
-jay

p.s. If you find out any more solid info, please do post back :)