[Openstack] Total Network Confusion

James Condron james.condron at simplybusiness.co.uk
Mon Jan 14 16:55:59 UTC 2013

Brilliant; sorry- I didn't attach the diagram.

On 14 Jan 2013, at 16:52, James Condron <james.condron at simplybusiness.co.uk<mailto:james.condron at simplybusiness.co.uk>> wrote:

Hi all,

I've recently started playing with (and working with) OpenStack with a view to migrate our production infrastructure from esx 4 to Essex.

My issue, or at least utter idiocy, is in the network configuration. Basically I can't work out whether in the configuration of OpenStack I have done something daft, on the network something daft or I've not understood the technology properly.

NB: I can get to the outside world form my VMs; I don't want to confuse things further.

As attached is a diagram I knocked up to hopefully make this simpler, though I hope I can explain it simply with:

*************
Given both public and private interfaces on my server being on the same network and infrastructure how would one go about accessing VMs via their internal IP and not have to worry about a VPN or Public IPs?
*************

My corporate network  works on simple vlans; I have a vlan for my production boxen, one for development, one for PCs, telephony, etc. etc. These are pretty standard.

The public, eth0 NIC on my compute node (Single node setup, nothing overly fancy; pretty vanilla) is on my production vlan and everything is accessible.
the second nic, eth1, is supposedly on a vlan for this specific purpose.

I am hoping to be able to access these internal IPs on their... Internal IPs (For want of a better phrase). Is this possible? I'm reasonably confident this isn't a routing issue as I can ping the eth1 IP from the switch:

#ping 10.12.0.1

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.12.0.1, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/2/8 ms

But none of the ones assigned to VMs:

#ping 10.12.0.4

Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.12.0.4, timeout is 2 seconds:
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

Or.... for those looking at the attached diagram: vlan101 is great and works fine; what do I need to do (If at all possible) to get vlan102 listening?
<ATT00001.c>

[cid:31407EBC-B431-4C7C-B62D-68B20F8E4FB2 at int.xbridge.com]