[Openstack] Audio card for libvirt/kvm in folsom

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jan 11 15:08:25 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 02:56:23PM +0100, Davide Guerri wrote:
> Daniel,
> let me explain what I'm trying to do.
> I'm trying to setup a simple virtual desktop infrastructure on the
> top of OpenStack using both Windows (7 only atm) and Linux guests.
>
> On Linux the missing audio board wouldn't be a problem since I'm
> planning to use freeNX or x2go that in turn use an esound remote
> tcp connection through ssh.
> For windows guests (which I'm not an expert on) without an audio
> card installed I'm facing the following problem: for some remote
> desktop clients (CORD on OsX and Mocha RDP on iOS, for instance)
> seems there is no way to enable sound if the guest isn't configured
> with an audio card. Other rdp solutions (like the Microsoft RDC
> on OsX) use a "remote audio" device that make audio output work
> but there is no way to "enable" audio recording.
> A sound board like ich6 makes audio works as expected.
>
> In order to have a working simple VD solution I'll try to hack
> the code of nova to add a sound card.

Ok, your use case sounds more reasonable now. To add sound support
to nova there's a couple of things you'll need to do

 1. In nova/virt/libvirt/config.py define a new class for
    describing the libvirt <sound> XML config, and
    test it in nova/tests/test_libvirt_config.py

 2. In nova/virt/libvirt/driver.py add a new config option
    "libvirt_sound_driver=XXX", defaulting to None, but
    allowing strings like 'ich6' or 'ac97', etc which describe
    a sound card model.

 3. In the same file modify get_guest_config() to add the
    sound device using the APIs you added in config.py

Daniel