[Openstack] Quantum Help

Maru Newby mnewby at internap.com
Wed Jan 9 16:05:58 UTC 2013

Hi Mark,

Where are you attempting to execute ping against the internal ip from?  Based on that guide, the internal ip would only be routable on the compute or network nodes, and it should be possible to ping the VM from either.

If you are unable to ping the internal ip from one of those nodes, what error do you see?  If it is something like 'permission denied', then namespaces are enabled and the ping command will need to be executed via 'sudo ip netns exec [namespace id] ping [ip]'.  The namespace id can be determined by executing 'ip netns' and finding the namespace id whose prefix matches the router interface associated with the tenant network (e.g. qrouter-xxxx).

Regardless, if you can ping the floating ip, and are able to ssh into the vm via that floating ip, internal network connectivity is working correctly.  floating ip traffic uses DNAT at the network node, so the internal ip is used once a packet transits the network node bound for the VM.

Thanks,

Maru

I'm nmot sure Being able to ping a VM's floating ip but not the internal ip is a promising sign.  The internal ip

If you are executing ping from the gateway host, Presuming you are executing ping from off the gateway
If you can ping the associated floatingip, can you ssh into the vm using that ip?  If so, your vm has connectivity, and the issue is likely that the internal network is not externaroutable

The internal network is