[Openstack] [Openstack-operators] A concept feature named 'scheduling live migration'

Stephen Gran stephen.gran at guardian.co.uk
Tue Jan 8 10:03:53 UTC 2013

Hi,

Yes, this is in my mind.  I see it as being in two parts:

First, there needs to be a scheduler hint and filter so that the
scheduler knows not to schedule more VMs for the host in maintenance
mode.

Second, there needs to be a way to ask the scheduler 'where would you
put this VM if you were asked to do so' without making the scheduler
actually schedule a VM creation, then use that information for live
migration destination selection.

Both of these look relatively straightforward, but they both need
doing :)

Cheers,

On Tue, 2013-01-08 at 10:49 +0100, Razique Mahroua wrote:
> Hey,
> this is not a feature I'm aware of at the moment. But I think you can
> do that by iterating on the instance. The command
> nova show $instance_id will give you the host the instance is running
> on. You can use it to loop on a migration process. You can also use a
> mysql request in order to retrieve all the instances running on that
> node
> > OS-EXT-SRV-ATTR:host   X
> Razique Mahroua - Nuage & Co
> razique.mahroua at gmail.com
> Tel : +33 9 72 37 94 15
>

> Le 8 janv. 2013 à 03:56, "Yuan, Ye A" <ye.a.yuan at intel.com> a écrit :
>
> > Yep, it seems that our purposes are maintenance/test both.
> > BTW, if one admin/oprator want to maintenance a host, he/she may
> > want to relocate  all instance to another health node.
> > If there is a command just like  ‘nova live-migrate --all’ and
> > he/she need not care about selecting which node as destination, all
> > works will be done by nova-scheduler.
> >
> > Best wishes,
> > Yale Yuan

Stephen Gran
Senior Systems Integrator - guardian.co.uk

Visit guardian.co.uk - website of the year

www.guardian.co.uk    www.observer.co.uk     www.guardiannews.com

On your mobile, visit m.guardian.co.uk or download the Guardian
iPhone app www.guardian.co.uk/iphone and iPad edition www.guardian.co.uk/iPad

Save up to 37% by subscribing to the Guardian and Observer - choose the papers you want and get full digital access.
Visit guardian.co.uk/subscribe

This e-mail and all attachments are confidential and may also
be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify
the sender and delete the e-mail and all attachments immediately.
Do not disclose the contents to another person. You may not use
the information for any purpose, or store, or copy, it in any way.

Guardian News & Media Limited is not liable for any computer
viruses or other material transmitted with or as part of this
e-mail. You should employ virus checking software.

Guardian News & Media Limited

A member of Guardian Media Group plc
Registered Office
PO Box 68164