[Openstack] [OpenStack][Swift] Calculating necessary disk space with replication

Leander Bessa Beernaert leanderbb at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 15:07:40 UTC 2013

Hello all,

Could some please confirm my analysis of the ring creation in swift?

I need to run a few benchmarks on a set of data (200GB) total and need it
to be replicated at least 3 times.

>From the Swift docs [1], I understood that the command below create the
ring for a partition sized 2^18 and 3 replicas.

swift-ring-builder account.builder create 18 3 1
# swift-ring-builder container.builder create 18 3 1
# swift-ring-builder object.builder create 18 3 1

Now, in my case i should use the values 28 3 1 right, or should i factor in
the replication and instead use 30 3 1?

I have at the moment 1 proxy node and 5 storage nodes with a 200GB storage
partition. This won't be enough to accomodate everything right?

Also, sorry for the split email, I pressed the send instead of the save
button :S.

Regards,

Leander

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Leander Bessa Beernaert <leanderbb at gmail.com