[Openstack] What's Up Doc? Jan 2 2013

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Jan 2 15:30:01 UTC 2013

Happy New Year everyone! Here's some news you can use from the last few
weeks from doc-land.

1. In review and merged this past week:
The Basic Install Guide is getting quite a workout from readers this past
week. Check out the latest at
http://docs.openstack.org/folsom/basic-install/content/. There is also a
review here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/18619/ of the Basic Install
guide.

2. High priority doc work:
This week I want to circle back to the patches from the doc bug squash and
see if any additional ones need to be backported to stable/folsom.

If cells lands in nova before Jan 10, we'll need to add documentation for
it. All interested people are welcome to send write ups -- even rough notes
can be turned into docs. We're tracking the doc work for cells here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1075669

Any code patch with DocImpact gets a doc bug for tracking.

3. Doc work going on that I know of:
Tom Fifield is doing a great job triaging doc bugs. We're all patching as
much as we can.
The next Doc team meeting will be Tuesday Jan 8 13:00 UTC, see the agenda
and add to it at http://wiki.openstack.org/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting.

4. New incoming doc requests:
None that I know of.

5. Doc tools updates:
I've been testing the latest Maven plugin for our use, 1.6.2-SNAPSHOT, but
there is an open issue we're tracking here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1095314. With this new
release, PDF files do not have to be directly pointed to as links, avoiding
our many bugs about missing PDF files.

6. Other doc news:
This is BIG news and shouldn't be buried at the bottom of this email. The
OpenStack Foundation has agreed to fund an Operator's doc sprint at the end
of February! It'll be the same team as we were proposing for the Google Doc
Summit, but in Austin Texas. We should have an ebook to show for it by
March 2nd. Thank you to our Foundation for helping us make this happen!