[Openstack] VM doesnt get IP

Rahul Sharma rahulsharmaait at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 16:09:16 UTC 2013

In one config, you have specified local_ip as 10.10.10.1 and in other as
192.168.3.3 . Doesn't they should belong to same network? As per the doc,
it should be 10.10.10.3? Plus, these both belong to Data-Network, which is
not controller-network communication but compute-network communication.

-Regards
Rahul

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 12:53 AM, Aaron Rosen <arosen at nicira.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> tenant_network_type = gre
>>
>> # (ListOpt) Comma-separated list of
>> # <physical_network>[:<vlan_min>:<vlan_max>] tuples enumerating ranges
>> # of VLAN IDs on named physical networks that are available for
>> # allocation. All physical networks listed are available for flat and
>> # VLAN provider network creation. Specified ranges of VLAN IDs are
>> # available for tenant network allocation if tenant_network_type is
>> # 'vlan'. If empty, only gre and local networks may be created.
>> #
>> # Default: network_vlan_ranges =
>> # Example: network_vlan_ranges = physnet1:1000:2999
>>
>> # (BoolOpt) Set to True in the server and the agents to enable support
>> # for GRE networks. Requires kernel support for OVS patch ports and
>> # GRE tunneling.
>> #
>> # Default: enable_tunneling = False
>> enable_tunneling = True
>>
>> # (ListOpt) Comma-separated list of <tun_min>:<tun_max> tuples
>> # enumerating ranges of GRE tunnel IDs that are available for tenant
>> # network allocation if tenant_network_type is 'gre'.
>> #
>> # Default: tunnel_id_ranges =
>> # Example: tunnel_id_ranges = 1:1000
>> tunnel_id_ranges = 1:1000
>>
>> # Do not change this parameter unless you have a good reason to.
>> # This is the name of the OVS integration bridge. There is one per
>> hypervisor.
>> # The integration bridge acts as a virtual "patch bay". All VM VIFs are
>> # attached to this bridge and then "patched" according to their network
>> # connectivity.
>> #
>> # Default: integration_bridge = br-int
>> integration_bridge = br-int
>>
>> # Only used for the agent if tunnel_id_ranges (above) is not empty for
>> # the server.  In most cases, the default value should be fine.
>> #
>> # Default: tunnel_bridge = br-tun
>> tunnel_bridge = br-tun
>>
>> # Uncomment this line for the agent if tunnel_id_ranges (above) is not
>> # empty for the server. Set local-ip to be the local IP address of
>> # this hypervisor.
>> #
>> # Default: local_ip = 10.0.0.3
>> local_ip = 192.168.3.3
>>
>> The 10.10.10.1 is the Data Network from network controller (following the
>> tutorial), and it is in the eth0:0 (I'm not pretty sure, but i guess the
>> data from the VMs should communicate with this IP).
>>

>> 2013/2/22 Aaron Rosen <arosen at nicira.com>
>>
>>> Running with two nics for this should be fine for tunneling as ip
>>> routing would handle which nic the packets should go out. From what you
>>> pasted I see that one HV has a gre tunnel setup to 10.10.10.1 <-- Who is
>>> that host? Can you attach
>>> your /etc/quantum/plugins/openvswitch/ovs_quantum_plugin.ini on your nodes.
>>>
>>> I suspect the issue is a configuration issue in the [OVS] section.
>>> You'll need something along the lines of this in that section:
>>> local_ip = <ip address of HV>
>>> enable_tunneling = True
>>> tunnel_id_ranges = 1:1000