[Openstack] [DevStack] Does a Swift/Keystone only install require AMQP?

Everett Toews everett.toews at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Feb 20 00:53:20 UTC 2013

Hi All,

When I was doing a Swift/Keystone only install with DevStack I used the following in my localrc

  disable_all_services
  enable_service key swift mysql

Then stack.sh paused with the error message

  ERROR: at least one rpc backend must be enabled,
    set one of 'rabbit', 'qpid', 'zeromq'
    via ENABLED_SERVICES.

So I blindly added rabbit to enable_service and the error went away. Then I did the PR https://review.openstack.org/#/c/22333/ to change the DevStack README.md file.

But then I got the question, is rabbit really necessary?

Does anyone know if a Swift/Keystone only install requires AMQP?

Thanks,
Everett