[Openstack] Help with VMs

Harvey West harvey.west at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 19 18:25:06 UTC 2013

Hi Lloyd

Many thanks for the tips. Been a great help. Been trying a few things out.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.4 with OpenStack.

Created a FreeBSD 9.0 image that works for KVM. i.e.
kvm-img create -f raw freebsd3.img 10G

kvm -m 512 -hda freebsd3.img  -cdrom FreeBSD-9.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso -boot d

This boots ok.  kvm -m 2048 -hda freeBSD.img -boot c
(note: did not use virtio mods. Assumed these were just optimized NIC/SCSI drivers. Which I can live without for the time being)

Tried to import this freeBSD image into open stack
i.e. glance add name="freeBSD1" is_public=true disk_format=raw container_format=bare < freeBSD.img

Can't see any console output from openstack when this instance is started. No entries in console.log.

Just wondering if I going about this the right way?

Harvey