[Openstack] deal with booting lots of instance simultaneously

gtt116 gtt116 at 126.com
Tue Feb 19 09:09:51 UTC 2013

Hi Diego

Thanks for you reply.
How many hosts do you have? I have 4 hosts. And in this bug,
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1094226, The N is 20. In my
environment N is about 16.

I found that nova-network is too busy to deal with so many rpc request
at the same time. The Rabbitmq is strong enough in the scenario.

? 2013?02?19? 16:54, Diego Parrilla SantamarĂ­a ??:
> Hi gtt,
>
> what does it mean for you 'lots of instance simultaneously'? 100,
> 1000, 10000, more?
>
> We have launched >100 (but less than <1000) simultaneously without any
> issue. Rabbit running in a multicore with several gigs of RAM with out
> of the box configuration.
>
> Cheers
> Diego
>  --
> Diego Parrilla
> <http://www.stackops.com/>*CEO*
> **www.stackops.com*
> <http://www.stackops.com/> | * diego.parrilla at stackops.com
> <mailto:diego.parrilla at stackops.com>**** | +34 649 94 43 29
> | skype:diegoparrilla*
> * <http://www.stackops.com/>
> *
>
> ****
>
> *
>

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 9:35 AM, gtt116 <gtt116 at 126.com
> <mailto:gtt116 at 126.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     When create lots of instance simultaneously, there will be lots of
>     instance in ERROR state. And most of them are caused by network
>     rpc request timeout. This result is not so graceful.
>
>     I think it will be better if scheduler keep a queue of creating
>     request. when he find all the hosts are busy
>     enough(compute_node.current_workload reach some value), stop cast
>     the request to host temporarily, until he found some host free
>     enough. In this way, we can make sure booting lots of instances
>     simultaneously results in active instances rather than lots of
>     ERROR instance. but will cause a small weak point, if the top
>     value of current_workload small enough, create instance processing
>     will be slow.
>
>     Do you have another quick fix?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     --