[Openstack] How to generate an API key

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri Feb 8 15:19:28 UTC 2013

My understanding is that API keys are a provider's term. They are specially
generated per user by the provider.

There are no API keys in a generic OpenStack Identity (keystone folsom)
installation. There are just calls you can make to get a token. Depending
on the provider you may need just username and password, or username,
password, and tenant id.

API keys just give users a way to get a token other than username/password.
Users still have to get a token. Depending on the provider's configuration,
tokens can be either UUID or PKI. In fact, default for the latest daily
code (grizzly) is PKI. This has tripped more than a few people up in the
last few months.

Lots of Identity configuration info here if you're interested:
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/keystone/configuration.html

Identity experts, please assist in my (probably over-simplified)
explanations. :)
Anne