[Openstack] How to generate an API key

Emilio García emilio.garcia at cloudreach.co.uk
Fri Feb 8 14:43:38 UTC 2013

Thank your for taking your time answering.

I am aware about this not being a Zenoss list, so this was just to give a
little bit of background. I can only find this sentence concerning API keys:

*Note: An API key — provided by some cloud providers auth systems. You or
your OpenStack provider's administrator/support staff can revoke it and
generate a new one. While an authentication token can have a short
lifespan, an API key lasts until it is regenerated.*

However I cannot see anywhere any reference on how to generate API keys
(not tokens). It is just like some kind of holy grail which is mentioned
but anyone really knows where exactly is. Am I overlooking something very
obvious? Closest reference I found suggested that the API key could be just
a user's password. Is that so? or is a dead end?

In a nutshell I am very confused about what is a API key exactly and how
can they be generated (not a token).

Kind regards.

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org> wrote:

> Hi Emilio,
>
> This isn't exactly a Zenoss list, but look under Usage on this page:
> https://github.com/zenoss/ZenPacks.zenoss.OpenStack
>
> The above page doesn't clearly explain the versions of different APIs from
> different services. From OpenStack's release perspective for Folsom, the
> Identity API is currently v2 and the Compute API is currently v2 (which is
> identical to v1.1). So I'm not sure from the Zenoss perspective what API
> they are providing support for.
>
> In the OpenStack docs, this page explains more about tokens and API keys.
> API keys are typically given by a particular provider. Tokens are handed
> out by Keystone, the Identity service under the OpenStack umbrella.
>
> http://docs.openstack.org/api/openstack-compute/programmer/content/getting-the-keys-to-the-kingdom.html
>
> This page describes the process of obtaining a token.
> http://docs.openstack.org/api/quick-start/content/index.html#Getting-Credentials-a00665
>
> Hope this helps.
> Anne
>

> On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 7:53 AM, Emilio García <
> emilio.garcia at cloudreach.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to generate an API key for a Zenpack (Zenoss) to use the
>> OpenStack API to gather stats. However I cannot see how to generate a API
>> key in the documentation anywhere. How can I do that? Also is it possible
>> to use the v1 of the API protocol in Folsom or only v2?
>>
>> Kind regards.
>>

>>  Cloudreach Limited is a limited company registered in England with registered number 06975407
>>
>> The above terms reflect a potential business arrangement, are provided solely as a basis for further discussion,
>> and are not intended to be and do not constitute a legally binding obligation. No legally binding obligations
>> will be created, implied, or inferred until an agreement in final form is executed in writing by all parties involved.
>>
>> This email may be confidential or privileged. If you received this communication by mistake, please don't forward
>> it to anyone else, please erase all copies and attachments, and please let us know that it has gone to the wrong person.

*Emilio Garcia*
Systems Developer, Cloudreach Limited
[t] +44 20 7183 3893 (ext. 403)
[m] +44 7958 036 743