[Openstack] Provider networks and manual ip management

tra26 at cs.drexel.edu tra26 at cs.drexel.edu
Thu Feb 7 18:32:03 UTC 2013

Again, is there a better place to ask these types of questions?

I am trying to get a provider network working where I have full control of
the ip allocations. What I need is to be able to have 2 (or more public ip
addresses, or really to our private network). I know this can't be done
with floating ips, so that is why I am looking to patch it into my network
and just manually configure the ips. (probably also having a flat vm
network as well).

I've got a provider network configured as so, with no dhcp on the subnet:
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Field                     | Value                                |
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| admin_state_up            | True                                 |
| id                        | f1c2fb46-72a3-410c-b06a-518c56659d62 |
| name                      | provider                             |
| provider:network_type     | flat                                 |
| provider:physical_network | prinet                               |
| provider:segmentation_id  |                                      |
| router:external           | True                                 |
| shared                    | True                                 |
| status                    | ACTIVE                               |
| subnets                   | c68bb08b-483f-49a5-be08-b690e84c4f17 |
| tenant_id                 | 35cd7af3118248bcb0ada0080afa3403     |
+---------------------------+--------------------------------------+

+------------------+------------------------------------------------------+
| Field            | Value                                                |
+------------------+------------------------------------------------------+
| allocation_pools | {"start": "192.168.224.2", "end": "192.168.224.254"} |
| cidr             | 192.168.224.0/24                                     |
| dns_nameservers  |                                                      |
| enable_dhcp      | False                                                |
| gateway_ip       | 192.168.224.1                                        |
| host_routes      |                                                      |
| id               | c68bb08b-483f-49a5-be08-b690e84c4f17                 |
| ip_version       | 4                                                    |
| name             |                                                      |
| network_id       | f1c2fb46-72a3-410c-b06a-518c56659d62                 |
| tenant_id        | 35cd7af3118248bcb0ada0080afa3403                     |

nova is assigning an ip to the port regardless of there being no dhcp and
therefore the port does not allow me to configure it. Using a different ip
results in the iptables rules rejecting the packets.

Anyone know how to fix this or get around this? Please?

-Trevor