[Openstack] [Heat] Problem with stacks

Steven Hardy shardy at redhat.com
Mon Dec 30 10:49:34 UTC 2013

On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 11:48:07PM +0100, Sławek Kapłoński wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use heat on havana openstack release. I installed all
> thinks I need (nova, neutron, glance, heat) and configure it that I can
> create "normall" instances and it has got public IPs from neutron.
> Later I create image with Fedora 19 according to guide:
> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/heat/getting_started/jeos_building.html#building-an-image-with-diskimage-builder
> (and also Ubuntu 12.10 according to
> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/heat/getting_started/jeos_building.html#building-an-image-with-oz
> ), I register those images in glance and I create test stack with
> Wordpress_Single_Instance.template from heat/templates. Stack was
> created correct but it looks that is not configured - httpd, ssh and
> other services are not installed. VM only pings and this wordpress is
> not available at address on which it should be.
> So do I something wrong? Maybe I miss some steps? I hope that You
> create such heat stacks and can help me with that :)

Firstly, I'd re-test with one of the pre-built and pre-tested Fedora
images (F17,18 and 19 here, but note only F19/20 is currently supported):

http://fedorapeople.org/groups/heat/prebuilt-jeos-images/

The required cloud-init and heat-cfntools are included in the F20 cloud
images, so we no longer need to build our own for >=F20 :)

http://cloud.fedoraproject.org/

If those images work, you need to compare to figure out what is wrong with
your image.

If those images don't work, the most likely cause is the instances have
insufficient network connectivity - either they can't connect to the nova
ec2 metadata API (check /var/log/cloud-init*), or they cannot connect to
the internet to download the packages (check /var/log/heat-provision.log)

To debug these issues, I suggest setting up root and user passwords via
virt-sysprep in the images before uploading to glance, then you can still
access the instance to debug and read logs in the event that the SSH keys
are not correctly installed (obviously only do this for test/debug
environments):

http://rwmj.wordpress.com/tag/virt-sysprep/

Steve