[Openstack] Installation Guide, Basic Architecture, and Minimum Controller Components

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Sat Dec 28 03:09:25 UTC 2013

On 28/12/13 02:21, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> I'm setting up another test installation. I'm working on Ubuntu with
> Havana using http://docs.openstack.org/havana/install-guide/install/apt/content/.
>
> According to the OpenStack Installation Guide, the example uses a
> Controller with Keystone, Glance and Nova. Freat job on those
> documents, btw. (See http://postimg.org/image/ct3i150qr/ for a screen
> capture of the page with a logical diagram).
>
> I want to move Keystone to its own virtual machine for segregation
> (this will eventually be a security requirement). I also want to move
> Nova to its own VM (in addition to one VM for a Swift node).
>
> What are the minimum components required for the controller? Does that
> leave Glance, MySQL and RabbitMQ? Can Glance be moved somewhere if
> desired (or must it remain on the controller)?
>
> Sorry about the basic question. I'm still working though examples to
> see what works, what does not, and how I manage to break things ;)

There is actually no concept of a 'controller' in OpenStack :) It's just
something the docs (and many deployments) do to name a collection of
services that live together.

So, if you want MySQL, Glance, RabbitMQ and Keystone to all live on
their own VMs - that's completely fine. You just need to update the
service endpoints, hostnames in configuration files, firewall entries
and so on.

Regards,

Tom