[Openstack] Bringing focus to the Operators and Users at the next summit

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 23:29:32 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 8:04 AM, Tristan Goode <tristan at aptira.com> wrote:

> I'm not at all discounting the DevOps conversation as ideally a continuous
> cyclic dialog. There may well be wonderful continuous communication in Dev
> land for OpenStack right now, but in Ops land it's certainly not middle or
> start or end or anywhere, it's almost non-existent. This breakdown in the
> DevOps cycle is evident in the fact that the feedback from the "OpenStack
> User Survey" presented at the most recent summit was essentially unchanged
> from the feedback of the previous summit and echoed much of the same
> sentiment, so it's clear developers are not completing the DevOps cycle
> here even when this information was presented in advance last time. The
> attitude seems to be largely that if you have an issue then rather than
> "complaining about it" you should write more code to fix the issue i.e. ops
> should become dev so dev can remain doing what they like.

Until now, I have actually never seen a clear list of what operators said
in the user survey (were they presented to this mailing list or even better
the dev mailing list?). Making a presentation at the summit is hardly the
best way to start a dialog with developers.

But that aside, you brought up a interesting point that the developers are
not working on the list of issues gathered from the last user survey, I
don't think that's correct.  Based on the user survey results [0], here is
what we are doing and (to the best of my knowledge) and what next steps we
can take to address the comments raised:

User Survey Feedback:
* Simplify installation and configuration process
* Rolling migrations with N-1 compatibility
* Documentation-archive old content, end-user guide, problem guide, ...
* Security such as SSL options everywhere
* Horizon lacks latest feature support, admin functionality and more
attractive theme
* High availability out-of-the-box for OpenStack components and VM restart
* Active Directory integration

Simplify installation and configuration process: We now have an official
Deployment program (TripleO [1]) that should help address this.

Rolling migrations with N-1 compatibility:  I can only speak for nova, we
are trying to support this but it is hard and takes time. Although TripleO
is aiming at doing continuous deployment and doesn't require N-1
compatibility, rolling upgrades is also an essential item in the TripleO
Story.

Documentation-archive old content, end-user guide, problem guide:  I am not
sure what this is asking for exactly, but given more specific feedback I am
sure the great folks working on the docs team can help address these
concerns.

Security such as SSL options everywhere:  SSL isn't something we
necessarily want to bake directly into OpenStack, there are tools we would
rather use instead of rewriting SSL support directly, for example keystone
has a great document explaining how to set up SSL support using apache
HTTPD [2]. SSL everywhere is also an important piece for TripleO, so we
hope to have SSL support in OpenStack's official deployment program.

Horizon lacks latest feature support, admin functionality and more
attractive theme: I am not the right person to comment on Horizon, I don't
follow its development closely enough. But lacking latest feature support
may be a hard issue to address. As for admin functionality and a more
attractive theme, I imagine the Horizon team would be happy to have
conversations in these specific issues.

High availability out-of-the-box for OpenStack components and VM restart: I
am not sure what VM restart means, but HA is an important item for TripleO

Active Directory integration: I am not sure what this means exactly, but
this sounds like a blueprint to discuss with the keystone team.

In short, we, the developers, are aware of most of these issues and many of
them stem from the fact that OpenStack has never had an official deployment
story, so until now the story of how to run SSL, was simply use a reverse
proxy with SSL support. But that never was a great answer. WIth TripleO the
answer is, use TripleO.

best,
Joe

[0] The best list I found of the user survey results is slides 13 on
http://www.openstack.org/summit/portland-2013/session-videos/presentation/openstack-user-committee-update-and-survey-results

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/TripleO

[2] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/keystone/apache-httpd.html