[Openstack] Bringing focus to the Operators and Users at the next summit

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 13:37:10 UTC 2013

On Dec 27, 2013 4:24 AM, "Tristan Goode" <tristan at aptira.com> wrote:

> I'm having trouble seeing these great points of insight here other than
it seems to indicate that the design summit format could be improved.
Distilling this down to "We developers are all too busy at the summit, why
don’t you users go get your own thing" suggests that perhaps it's time for
a review of the summit format.

I think that's missing a key point, there is much more to this then
evaluating the summit format. The summit is the middle of a long
development dialog not the beginning or the end. Getting more operator
feedback to the developers shouldn't just happen at the summits, it should
be a continuous process just like openstack planning and development. So we
need some way for operators and developers to have a continuous dialog.
Developers communicate today on: IRC, email and launchpad and lastly in
person twice a year at the design summit.

> After all it does say "users" and "developers" on the summit logo.

think give people more insight into the process and timing required to
really impact the releases.

> I've fallen into the trap many times of thinking we can solve any problem
in the world during the 10 days a year we are all together, but in the end
its only 10 days. No matter how you organize them, they don't any get
longer.

> So +1 for some activities well before the summit to gather input. I think
Tim's suggestion makes a ton of sense.

> IMHO we should also avoid the trap of thinking that for gatherings to be
valuable "everyone has to be there". That's what leads back to thinking the
summit weeks are the answer to everything. As Tim said, it's quite likely
operators are experiencing a lot of the same pain points, so what is needed
is critical mass and action, not every known user in one room
(unrealistic). Perhaps with some online components where operators that
couldn't make a meetup can weigh in (and give a weighted priority to a
list?)