[Openstack] kwargs explanation should be used when we raise webob.exc.WSGIHTTPException

ZhiQiang Fan aji.zqfan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 07:24:21 UTC 2013

Hi, stackers,

In review patch: https://review.openstack.org/64099, I found that if we use
kwargs detail instead of explanation when we raise that WSGIHTTPException,
the http response body will generate 'message' using default explanation,
instead of what we expected which is detail=msg.

So I register bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1264328 and
Kiyohiro Adach register https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1264424 to
identify this problem

However, in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/64230/, Huang Zhiteng
mentioned that:
```
John mentioned this a few times, some customers may reply on this
'not-so-correct' API behavior for their automation. I'm not sure how
changes like this will affect them.
```

So I want to know what is the right action we should take, IMHO, we should
fix all of those statements in master branch, which means:

- raise webob.exc.HTTPXXX(_("message"))
- raise webob.exc.HTTPXXX(detail=_("message"))

should be replaced with raise webob.exc.HTTPXXX(explanation=_("message"))

What your opinion?

Thanks

--
blog: zqfan.github.com