[Openstack] How to achieve HA and Scalability for Neutron

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 18:48:23 UTC 2013

On 12/26/2013 12:54 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> Excerpts from Jay Pipes's message of 2013-12-26 08:58:10 -0800:
>> On 12/26/2013 07:43 AM, skywalker.nick at gmail.com wrote:
>>> Hi stackers,
>>> I'm preparing for an OpenStack cloud in the production system. I've
>>> achieved HA and load balancing for most of the components to a certain
>>> degree.
>>> Finally I find it hard for Neutron to do such configuration. Are there
>>> any ways to run multiple l3-agents and dhcp-agents and cluster them
>>> together?
>>
>> Right, the Neutron L3 agent is the only OpenStack service that is not
>> stateless, and therefore you cannot use traditional load-balancing
>> across a set of identical nodes.
>>
>> That said, there's nothing wrong with running multiple L3 nodes, with
>> routers for different tenants hosted on different L3 agents. We do this
>> successfully in our deployment using a custom Neutron scheduler that my
>> colleague Alan Meadows wrote [1] and a Python script (also written by
>> Alan) that runs in cron looking for failures on an L3 agent and if
>> found, moves the routers from the failed node to a working one. [2]
>
> This sounds pretty great Jay. Do you have plans to submit it to Neutron
> as a standard feature? Pretty much everybody needs this.

Alan submitted a couple fixes to Neutron a long time ago [1] during the
time when he wrote the least utilized scheduler but they were rejected
because of ML2 rework going through at the time, so he didn't think
there was much use trying to get the scheduler in, and the work just got
lost in our backlog.

Starting in the new year, I will be working on contributing to Neutron's
core and scheduling code and will go ahead and submit Alan's work, along
with unit tests as one of my first patches. I'm also working on putting
together developer docs for Neutron (something that IMO is badly needed)
to address a blueprint that has been hanging around for >2 years [2].

Best,
-jay

[1]
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/project:openstack/neutron+owner:alanmeadows,n,z