[Openstack] Multi network, shared FlatManager config

amit gupta sameidea at gmail.com
Wed Dec 25 00:50:01 UTC 2013

Hi stackers,

I have setup Openstack using Centos 6.4 controller (havana, RDO) and 4
compute nodes (KVM) using nova-network. 2 compute nodes are in
10.77.1.0/24 and remaining 2 are in 10.77.2.0/24 networks. I have
created 2 networks as well using "nova-manage network create". Network
uses FlatManager and instances get IP from external DHCP. No firewall.
eth0 is the interface on controller while compute nodes use br100
(bridged into eth0).

All compute nodes and instances are able to talk with each other however
after adding the second network, I have started seeing following issue:

Issue: when I create instance from dashboard, they show 2 IPs on the
dashboard. Instance created this way gets 2 eth devices also however
only 1 is configured from my external DHCP server.

Goal: I want to be able to create instance with just 1 network-interface
- one that is connected and configured by external DHCP on the eth0 of
compute host. Also, it will be great if I can see actual IP of the
instance in dashboard (assigned from external DHCP) but this is not very
important.

I have tried playing with nova aggregates, de-associate commands but am
not able to set it right. Please help. I have 2 clusters and can try
anything in my dev. env.

PS: Instances from CLI "nova boot --nic ..." command look fine and show
only 1 IP assigned in dashboard.

Thank you in advance,
Amit