[Openstack] [Nova] enable hyper-threading or not?

sylecn sylecn at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 08:21:48 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I notice in ops guide [1], it mentioned that whether to enable
hyper-threading depends on use case.

I'd like to hear some real world experience on this topic. Do you enable
hyper-threading in your openstack cluster? Does it matter at all for your
use case?

My current use case is java based web app and node.js based web app. Both
facing internet users with potentially high concurrency. The cpu on
nova-compute node is E5-2620x2, 24 cores with HT on.

I also want to know whether there exists some comprehensive and practical
benchmark application to test CPU, disk IO, database performance etc on
ubuntu platform. Or do I have to fall back to the traditional tools like
ab, fio etc.

Thanks,
Yuanle

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-ops/content/cpu_choice.html