[Openstack] XenServer support

Mārtiņš Jakubovičs martins at hostnet.lv
Wed Dec 18 11:06:00 UTC 2013

Hello all,

I just want to know in which way is OpenStack going with XenServer/XCP
support. I want to create small cloud but in testing I faced with many
issues and it looks like OpenStack + XenServer is not usable for production.
Some issues:

- Can't aggregate hosts. (After patch it is going to work, but in
XenServer second host's PV domU nova-compute won't start anyway
https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/8392/aggregate-hosts/)
- Not normal shared storage support. Isn't possible to resize instances
with shared storage.
- Shared storage is important, without shared storage XenServer can't
create aggregate zone (Resource pool) and use live migration.

I don't know, maybe this things is for someone less important, but for
me it is "must have". Or OpenStack community recommend to use XenServer
without resource pools and shared storages? For migration can use
storage live migration which is slow in a way of emergancy maintaince
and additionl IOPS on storages.
Maybe someone can share his experiance creating cloud with OpenStack +
XenServer?

Thanks.