[Openstack] Bringing focus to the Operators and Users at the next summit

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Mon Dec 16 19:31:32 UTC 2013

BTW, it does not solve the problem of which component to put something in but it would allow us to align the input with the project structure. It would not catch all cases (such as VM on shared storage restart in the event of failure which is apparently not in the Nova scope) but it would allow us to cover the ones which are clear.

I would propose to only cover incubated and core projects with such a session. One of my other concerns is the project sprawl which massively increases the operational effort (new daemons, interfaces to monitor, puppet configurations, upgrade orders, packaging issues, roles to define, CLIs to deploy, user education to organise, ...)

I would also propose that these user/operator points should be provided to the PTLs at least one month in advance of the summit. Armed with this input, the PTLs can factor this into the summit session planning. If there are needs for a user/operator advocate in design sessions, I think we can find candidates as we expand through the volunteers and ambassador programs.

Tim