[Openstack] Bringing focus to the Operators and Users at the next summit

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Dec 16 13:07:38 UTC 2013

Tristan Goode wrote:
> I'm trying to establish a feedback loop "because" we (Operators, Users, etc)
> need to better present our actual real world, evidence based Operator, User,
> and even other input like Sales and Marketing experiences back into the
> development teams. Much of this does and will come from the great work of
> the UC, the User surveys, and especially the folks that have volunteered to
> analyse the survey results. I'm hoping to build on the survey analysis and
> collaboratively and constructively focus that to present a blueprint or
> roadmap with a "whole of OpenStack" scope. We can dig deeper into the user
> survey feedback and break beyond the bounds of the limited format of the
> user survey to seed the discussion. For me, the most valuable session in
> Hong Kong was the discussion led by Tim of the user survey. It was however,
> all too short.

I think that ties nicely into the discussion of separating the Design
Summit from the conference. Because there is a paradox there. We run the
two events at the same time, originally because we wanted users and devs
in the same place. But with the design summit being, for a lot of
developers, an uninterrupted 4-day sprint, a lot of devs (including most
of our PTLs) can't really participate in the conference. So running them
at the same time ends up being a good way of *separating* users and key
devs. It has another interesting set of consequences, like preventing
key devs from presenting at the conference (we had more PTLs presenting
at LinuxCon this year than we had in the two previous OpenStack Summits).

Having a user/ops summit day in the conference is a good idea, but it
would not be enough, if the goal is to expose user priorities to
developers. You also have to run it while the Design Summit is not
running. So separating (or at least staggering) the two events is a
prerequisite for success. Yes, you won't have ALL the developers stay
for all the conference days. But I'm pretty sure you'll have more of
them active at the conference this way.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)