[Openstack] Launching an Ubuntu instance

Noel Burton-Krahn noel at pistoncloud.com
Sun Dec 15 05:42:07 UTC 2013

1. build a vm image.  I use vmbuilder to make an Ubuntu image

sudo vmbuilder kvm ubuntu -v --suite precise --mem 6144 --cpus 4
--rootsize=40000 --user stack --name stack --pass stack \
--addpkg ssh--addpkg acpi-support --addpkg emacs --addpkg screen --addpkg
git --addpkg ssshfs

2. upload that image into glance:

glance image-create --name=ubuntu-precise-base --disk-format qcow2
 --container-format=bare  < ubuntu-precise-base.qcow2

3. boot vm1 off that image

nova boot --image ubuntu-precise-base --flavor m2.large vm1