[Openstack] BRE as a Service

Renat Akhmerov rakhmerov at mirantis.com
Wed Dec 11 06:13:30 UTC 2013

> From: Manoj Agarwal <manoj.agarwal at rackspace.com>
> Date: Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 1:39 PM
> Subject: [Openstack] BRE as a Service
> To: "openstack at lists.openstack.org" <openstack at lists.openstack.org>
>

> I have the need of a Business Rules Engine (BRE) service, that can store my custom business rules and execute them on the context I provide.
>
> Is there any BRE as a service project in Openstack?

Hi Manoj,

We recently started working on a new project codenamed Mistral that may be relevant to your needs. It’ll become Workflow-as-a-Service for OpenStack. The main idea is that we can describe our workflow (tasks and dependencies between them) using simple Domain Specific Language, upload it to Mistral and run it either on demand or on an external event (i.e. timer or Ceilometer alarm). And Mistral will take care of running this workflow providing HA, scalability and various things like execution monitoring & control.

Here’s the list of links that may be useful for you:

Project wiki: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Mistral. (there you can find descriptions of the use cases, links to etherpads and more)
Blog post: http://www.mirantis.com/blog/605818/
Honk Kong Design Summit presentation: http://www.slideshare.net/RenatAkhmerov/mistral-hong-kong-unconference-track

Please also feel free to ask any questions about the project directly.

Thanks.

Renat Akhmerov
@ Mirantis Inc.