[Openstack] Regarding Openstack upgrade for havana onwards

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Fri Dec 6 02:35:20 UTC 2013

Overall I think u just hit a weakspot in openstack. But lots of people are
here to help :-)

A lot of the upgrading depends on what your current [glance, nova, cinder,
quantum] configuration is, what database u are using, what the allowable
VM impact is, how your network is deployed, how your db is deployed, what
kind of API downtime is allowable, what your API deployment is (behind
load-balancers), what package management system you are using (where are u
getting the code), how is that code deployed (puppet, chef, other?), how
comfortable with upgrades have you been, are you just planning on doing a
python upgrade (or will things like the linux kernel or libvirt be
affected as well), how big of a team do u have to test the upgrade
process, what is your idea of a smooth upgrade (no downtime, some
downtime?), in what timeline do you want this upgrade done...

Lots of questions I know, but all of them (and likely more that I missed)
are relevant to how this upgrade process will work.

-Josh