[Openstack] [Ceilometer] Swift monitoring issue

Nadya Privalova nprivalova at mirantis.com
Mon Dec 2 14:30:37 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

I've faced with interesting problem during manual ceilometer installation.
I've configured swift to be monitored by ceilometer as it described in
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ceilometer/install/manual.html#installing-the-collector.
But in the logs the following error appears:
http://paste.openstack.org/show/54283/ (sorry for strange trace with #012
characters and doubling letters, smth went wrong during copying).
Besides this log-error cpu utilization in controller raised up to 100%.
After that I decided to skip swift-meters disabling it in pipeline.conf.
But it didn't help.

It turned out that swift had no permissions to write into
/var/log/ceilometer. I provided 666 to /var/log/ceilometer and all issues
disappeared: cpu is 30% and no errors in logs.
I've configured log_dir and log_file in ceilometer.conf file so I didn't
create /var/log/ceilometer manually.
I've added a Note to docs https://review.openstack.org/#/c/59385/. But I'm
still not sure that the issue described above is not a bug.
Please advice.

Thanks,
Nadya