[Openstack] Clarifications about what agents do in Ceilometer

Romain Ziba romain.ziba at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 09:01:48 UTC 2013

Hello,

After reading documentations and code, I would like to know if my
understanding is correct.

In Ceilometer:

   1. The compute agent is a polling agent.
   2. The Central Agent is a polling agent.
   3. The notification agent (coded in
   ceilometer/ceilometer/notification.py) listens on the notification bus and
   transforms events into samples by calling the method process_notification
   of the notifications_plugins it loaded.
   4. The Collector agent stores the different samples provided either by
   polling, push or notification agents into the database.

For each statement, could you please tell me if I'm right. If not, could
you please explain further?

Thanks beforehand,

Romain.