[Openstack] #239037: Simultaneous Post requests of large objects could fail with "503 Service Unavailable"

balu chandra balu9463 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 08:20:00 UTC 2013

Hello,
Mailing to a larger audience the question posted at
https://answers.launchpad.net/swift/+question/239037

I am testing for performance numbers on a 2 node default
swift(grizzly) configuration. The results were not encouraging though.

With 10 concurrent users when uploading 15 objects per user with a
mixed object size varying from 1KB to 5GB, I see a failure rate of 10%
with "503 internal server error" or "503 service unavailable error".
The failures was not restricted to bigger sized objects.
I am using 3 local disks on each server and having default
configuration on the Auditor.
Increasing the timeout to 60 seconds and more only marginally reduced
the failure rate.
I would be interested to know if these numbers are expected or there
are possible configuration tweaks to improve the success rate for
multiple parallel requests.
Any performance results for swift that I could be pointed to would be
of great help.