[Openstack] Nova and XenServer with VlanManager don't create VLAN PIF for tenant instances

MinoX minox.88 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 12:39:27 UTC 2013

Hi!

First of all, sorry for my bad English.

I'm new with XenServer but not with OpenStack + KVM.

I'm deploying an environment with OpenStack for bachellor project. For
various reasons at the end I opted for XenServer but I have a problem with
networking. When I instantiate a machine of a project, the machine on XS is
associted to wrong network card (Trunk in XS networking). If I execute xe
pif-list I don't see the VLAN pif for tenant.

The XS have two network card in bonding with OpenVswitch and "Trunk"
network (management (vlan native in the switch port) + tenant VLANs) and
other pif with VLAN (iSCSI, Monitoring, Public).

The VM with nova-network and nova-compute have two virtual network cards, a
trunk (eth0) for management and tenant bridges and eth1 for public traffic.
This part works well because it creates the vlans for dhcp over eth0 card.

I have in nova.conf (folsom 2012.2.4 over CentOS 6.4 with EPEL Repository):
# Red
network_manager = nova.network.manager.VlanManager
xenapi_vif_driver=nova.virt.xenapi.vif.XenAPIOpenVswitchDriver
public_interface=eth1
vlan_interface=eth0
force_dhcp_release = True
dhcpbridge = /usr/bin/nova-dhcpbridge
dhcpbridge_flagfile = /etc/nova/nova.conf
injected_network_template = /usr/share/nova/interfaces.template
multi_host=True
send_arp_for_ha=true
firewall_driver = nova.virt.xenapi.firewall.Dom0IptablesFirewallDriver
force_dhcp_release=True
flat_injected=False

I have reviewed all the documentation I have found on this subject and
can't find the fault. Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Mariano.