[Openstack] Fwd: [vmwareapi] Could we distribute wsdl files from vSphere SDK?

Shawn Hartsock hartsocks at vmware.com
Tue Aug 13 14:42:00 UTC 2013

Hi,

Could someone direct me to how to fix the official docs? I'll do that *today*... it's on my to-do list anyway.

I wrote this up: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NovaVMware/Documentation#SOAP_WSDL_issues

To explain things. The official documentation is actually wrong. You don't need to download the SDK unless you are using version 5.0 ... as for licensing, the SDK is protected behind this link http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vc-sdk/ which forces you through some EULA. You can skip this step if you just pull the SDK from your ESXi or vCenter host directly (whomever installed the server will have clicked through the EULA).

It would probably be best to not distribute the WSDL with the driver code since there are only a few corner cases when you should need to do that and hopefully the versions of vSphere that will need the work-around will age out as new versions that play well Python/OpenStack take root.

# Shawn Hartsock