[Openstack] hypervisor_type = QEMU even though KVM is installed and working

Daniel Ellison daniel at syrinx.net
Mon Aug 12 10:21:15 UTC 2013

Hey all,

I was trying out the new Horizon features, specifically the Hypervisors panel in the Admin dashboard. To my surprise it claimed I was using QEMU, not KVM! To verify, I did "nova hypervisor-show 1" and hypervisor_type is listed as QEMU.

Now I've been using this same server for a few years to run VMs under libvirt using virsh. They were definitely using KVM. In addition, "kvm-ok" gives me

    INFO: /dev/kvm exists
    KVM acceleration can be used

And my nova.conf has

    compute_driver=libvirt.LibvirtDriver
    libvirt_type=kvm

Also, "grep vmx /proc/cpuinfo" does find "vmx". So I don't get it! Has anyone else encountered this? Am I being misled? Am I misinformed? Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Daniel Ellison