[Openstack] [SWIFT] PUTs and GETs getting slower

Maximiliano Venesio maximiliano.venesio at mercadolibre.com
Thu Aug 8 15:15:36 UTC 2013

Hi Robert,

I was reading your post and is interesting because we have similar swift
deployments and uses cases.
We are storing millons of small images in our swift cluster, 32 Storage
nodes w/12 - 2TB HDD + 2 SSD each one, and we are having an total average
of 200k rpm in whole cluster.
In terms of % of util. of our disks,  we have an average of 50% of util in
all our disks but we just are using a 15% of the total capacity of them.
When I look at used inodes on our object nodes with "df -i" we hit about 17
million inodes per disk.

So it seems a big number of inodes considering that we are using just a 15%
of the total capacity. A different thing here is that we are using 512K of
inode size and we have a big amount of memory .
Also we always have one of our disks close to 100% of util, and this is
caused by the object-auditor that scans all our disks continuously.

So we was also thinking in the possibility to change the kind of disks that
we are using, to use smaller and faster disks.
Will be really util to know what kind of disks are you using in your old
and new storage nodes, and compare that with our case.

Cheers,
Max

*
*