[Openstack] Diskless Compute Nodes?

Mark Chaney mail at lists.macscr.com
Fri Aug 2 11:36:16 UTC 2013

So I am planning on setting up my first openstack cloud a little like so where my Compute nodes will be diskless:

http://content.screencast.com/users/MACscr/folders/Snagit/media/539491bf-c5ed-49e8-88a5-d812f954176e/2013-08-02_04-54-29.png

I will be using Ceph for Object Storage and also RBD for the VM storage. Since the Compute nodes will be diskless, I will have to boot them through pxe and load the OS into memory and then also when guests are booted, they will have to be done through their Volumes since Ephemeral storage will not be available.

Since I unfortunately seem to be going against the standard practice, I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on any deployment or management tools that I might be able to use to better create my openstack mini cloud and also manage it (adding new nodes, storage, etc). Unfortunately it looks like tools like Fuel for Openstack or the Rackspace Private Cloud toolset not only do not support diskless Compute nodes, but also do not even support Ceph. I know I could build everything from scratch, but thats not only going to be time consuming, but a pain to maintain in the future. The TripleO project seems to have a lot of promise, but unfortunately appears to be a bit to early in its dev cycle and also at least at its current state, to be a bit over my head.

I am open to all suggestions and I really appreciate your time. Thanks!

- Mark