[Openstack] Help on devstack network configuration

Batsayan Das batsayan.das at tcs.com
Thu Aug 1 10:51:47 UTC 2013

Hello,

I am trying to deploy devstack in Dell R910 with Ubuntu 12.04 as host OS.
Currently one NIC eth1 is enabled in the machine. The host machine is
connect to open internet through eth1, the eth1 gets IP from DHCP server.
The eth1 ip is 10.135.0.11

My intention is to create CentOS VMs with following property.
1. VMs should be able to ping each other
2. VMs are accessible by ssh from any host in 10.135.0.XX network
3. VMs should be connected to open internet.

To do this I am following the All-In-One: Dedicated Hardware method
mentioned in http://devstack.org/guides/single-machine.html

My localrc contains the following

disable_service n-net
enable_service q-svc
enable_service q-agt
enable_service q-dhcp
enable_service q-l3
enable_service q-meta
enable_service quantum
# Optional, to enable tempest configuration as part of devstack
enable_service tempest
DATABASE_PASSWORD=condor
RABBIT_PASSWORD=condor
SERVICE_TOKEN=condor
SERVICE_PASSWORD=condor
ADMIN_PASSWORD=condor

FLOATING_RANGE=10.135.0.48/28
FLAT_INTERFACE=eth1
PUBLIC_NETWORK_GATEWAY=10.135.0.5

My observation is

public-subnet 10.135.0.48/28  is created in admin project and
private-subnet 10.0.0.0/24 is created in demo project.

When I launch a VM instance in demo project it gets IP 10.0.0.3, and on
clicking associate floating ip, it gets ip 10.135.0.50 successfully.

At this point at the shell of the above VM ifconfig does not show up any
ip.
I see one router1 is crated with two interfaces, out of which External
Gateway interface status with ip 10.135.0.49 is DOWN and Internal
Interface status with ip 10.0.0.1 is ACTIVE. I am not sure what the
correct values should be, intuitively the External Gateway should be
ACTIVE.

The other website
http://www.cloudsoftcorp.com/blog/getting-started-with-heat-devstack-vagrant/

mentioned that one need to enable bridge FLAT_INTERFACE=br100. I am bit
confused here. Should I use quantum or n-net? If I use quantum should I
use bridge or simple floating ip? Should I use both floating ip and
bridge?

Looking for your help.

Batsayan Das
Tata Consultancy Services