[Openstack] Nested Open vSwitch Bridges

Joe Topjian joe.topjian at cybera.ca
Tue Apr 30 21:08:05 UTC 2013

Hello,

I have OpenStack (Grizzly) up and running with Quantum. I'm using the Open
vSwitch plugin, per-tenant routing, and network namespaces. As far as I'm
aware, this is all set up correctly as instances that I create are able to
retrieve an IP address via DHCP, reach the metadata server, and reach the
outside internet.

The issue that I'm running into is that when I install Open vSwitch on the
instance itself, I'm unable to create working bridges. For example:

ovs-vsctl add-br br-eth0
ovs-vsctl add-port br-eth0 eth0
(swap IPs from eth0 to br-eth0, kill dhcp, etc etc)

Traffic isn't flowing properly, though.

If I run a continuous ping and run tcpdump on both the instance and the tap
interface on the controller, I see arp requests going out of the instance,
being received on the tap interface, the tap interface sending a reply, but
the reply never reaching the instance.

However, I have found that if I create a bridge with the same MAC as the
interface that I'm adding to the bridge, traffic flows correctly:

ovs-vsctl set bridge br-eth0 other-config:hwaddr=aa:bb:cc:00:11:22

My best guess is that there's something (L2) blocking the flow of traffic,
but I'm not exactly sure where to start looking. I think it's safe to
assume that Open vSwitch on the OpenStack servers is doing the blocking but
I think it's Quantum that's implementing the blocking since if I use Open
vSwitch with nova-network, this problem doesn't happen.

Does anyone have any pointers? Or even a fix?

Thanks,
Joe

--
Joe Topjian
Systems Administrator

www.cybera.ca

Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
of cyberinfrastructure.